Friday, April 07, 2006

The Beach!

Hello everyone! As promised, here's a little bit about my vacation on the beach! I don't have too much time, so I'll just give the basics and then possibly write a little bit more later.

We took a bus to Puerto Vallarta, and first let me tell you. Traveling by bus in Mexico is NOT like traveling by bus in the States. It rocks!! It's like first class on an airplane, only definitely not as expensive. A one-way bus ticket from Guadalajara to PV was only $39. These buses are soo cool, you have leg room - lots of it, the seats are ginormous and recline really far, there are tv's where they play DVD's, the bathrooms are actually nice, and we also got a bag lunch as we got on the bus! Pretty darn nice. Only I forgot to take pictures . . . Image hosting by Photobucket

We stayed at a resort called Los Arcos Vallarta. The rooms were not the greatest, but at least the custome service was horrible! And I mean it. The lady at check-in was awful to us, already accusing us of things just because we were "spring breakers" in her mind. But we got over it pretty quickly once we hit the beach!! We spent the entire weekend laying out, swimming in the ocean, and getting a nice tan. Aahh, that was the life!! A couple of the nights we hit the fun night clubs - we made it to SeƱor Frogs, Carlos O'Brien's, and The Zoo. It was a lot of fun - only yet again, imagine the white girl who can't dance. But I didn't care, I was there to have fun - and I did!!

After the weekend, the rest of the gang went back to Guadalajara on Tuesday. Jamie and I didn't have to go - we didn't have classes all that week, because we both have 2 literature courses that didn't start until the next week. So we stayed on the coast, basically with no real plan, only knowing we wanted to stay by the beach. So we headed to a little town north of PV, called Sayulita. The bus ride there was interesting - definitely not the nice, spacious buses we rode to PV on! It was an hour bus ride, and we both fell asleep - luckily the bus driver knew where we were going and woke us up. Otherwise who knows where we would have ended up!! It was a cute little town on the beach, very serene and very pretty. We stayed at a little Bungalow hotel that was only $35 a night, layed out during the day, did some shopping at night, and had a nice relaxing time.

On Thursday we headed back to PV, Mary and Dave were going to come back and meet us again for the weekend. We met up with them and went back to the same hotel. We had another great weekend of relaxing on the beach, getting some sun, and of course practicing our Spanish! Another great things that happened was a friend of mine, Debi, from Michigan flew into PV with her family for the weekend on Saturday. I met up with her at her hotel, and got to meet her family. It was such a great time, I don't get to see her often in the States - so to see her in Mexico was just surreal!

As much fun as the week was, on Sunday it was time to head back to Guadalajara, again taking the amazing ETN bus. I got back Sunday night, exhausted, sad to be back to the city, but definitely tanner! It was an amazing week, and I had a great time with my friends on the beach!

I've been back in Guadalajara for 2 weeks now. I don't have time to write the fun happenings from those two weeks, I'm always running behind! And after telling you about that wonderful vacation . . . I get to go on another one! This next week is called "Semana Santa" in Mexico. The week before Easter is a "Holy Week", and everyone basically gets a vacation. School is out for the week, a lot of businesses are shut down, and a ton of people go to the beaches. So we get to go on vacation too! We're going on a study excursion to Guanajuato and Morelia, 2 historic towns about 5 hours from Guadalajara. Unfortunately they aren't on the beach, but I have no doubt that we'll have a great time.

I will MIA for the next week, but will take lots of pictures and I'm sure have lots of stories to go with them! I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and an even better week! I miss all of you!

Hasta luego!!

P.S. As you can see, I didn't have time to post pictures. It's after 11 here, I have to be at school in the morning by 9, and you guessed it - I haven't even started packing yet! When I get back I'll update you with some pictures!

No comments: